Religion is as common and meaningful to members of the LGBTQIA+ community as it is to every other community, and there are those within the community who were raised in religious homes and continue to derive meaning from symbols and faith of their childhood. It is difficult, then, to come to terms with how to understand a faith that has traditionally rejected a very key part of how you see yourself as a person. We are here to give voice to a piece of that identity.
Ozark Christian College (OCC) is a private Bible college in Joplin, Missouri, that has recently been in the local news since an openly gay young man is challenging their position on the admission of non-heterosexual potential students and the expulsion of those who are discovered within the student body. Jonah Box’s story has enlivened a quiet (and secret) Facebook group dedicated to those who have suffered from the decisions of the OCC administration over the years.
Given that many of us underwent some kind of trauma with religion, I’ve created this blog to give us the chance to air some of our grievances, to discuss our experiences (both positive and negative) and to help us channel our energies into something creative that may be useful to a new generation of Christians who are looking for their self-definition beyond what they are told is acceptable and expected.
Some of us are Christians and still find meaning in the tradition in which we were brought up. Others have left Christianity behind in search of something else. Still others have given religion a pass altogether. No matter where we are, we are united in the human experience. If this sounds like you and you want to add your story to this blog, you may do so anonymously by sending your story to me (Jason) or by commenting below that you would like to become a contributor.
Contributors must have a blogger.com account in order to write posts. We would like a commitment of two posts per month from each contributor. If you want to just say your peace one time, send it by email, and we will post it at our discretion.
About Me... I was a student at Ozark Christian College between 1998 and 2001, where I studied Hebrew and Greek (Old Testament major). I was expelled in March 2001 when I began coming out on campus and having discussions about the Bible and homosexuality with other students. I left Christianity during my next-to-last semester at OCC. Converted to Judaism in 2003. Moved to Israel in 2007. Speak fluent Hebrew (הַשָּׂפָה הָעִבְרִית) and know Greek (ἡ κοινὴ διάλεκτος) pretty well. Still haven’t found “the one,” but I’ve given up the search for “the One” and now consider myself a non-believer in the concept of God and in the value of faith. You’ll hear more about my journey as I give my contributions here on the forum.
Good luck to us all as we begin this trek into our own pasts. May we all heal and find our ways, wherever they may lead.
Contributor: Jason (ג׳ייסון)
Ozark Christian College (OCC) is a private Bible college in Joplin, Missouri, that has recently been in the local news since an openly gay young man is challenging their position on the admission of non-heterosexual potential students and the expulsion of those who are discovered within the student body. Jonah Box’s story has enlivened a quiet (and secret) Facebook group dedicated to those who have suffered from the decisions of the OCC administration over the years.
Given that many of us underwent some kind of trauma with religion, I’ve created this blog to give us the chance to air some of our grievances, to discuss our experiences (both positive and negative) and to help us channel our energies into something creative that may be useful to a new generation of Christians who are looking for their self-definition beyond what they are told is acceptable and expected.
Some of us are Christians and still find meaning in the tradition in which we were brought up. Others have left Christianity behind in search of something else. Still others have given religion a pass altogether. No matter where we are, we are united in the human experience. If this sounds like you and you want to add your story to this blog, you may do so anonymously by sending your story to me (Jason) or by commenting below that you would like to become a contributor.
Contributors must have a blogger.com account in order to write posts. We would like a commitment of two posts per month from each contributor. If you want to just say your peace one time, send it by email, and we will post it at our discretion.
About Me... I was a student at Ozark Christian College between 1998 and 2001, where I studied Hebrew and Greek (Old Testament major). I was expelled in March 2001 when I began coming out on campus and having discussions about the Bible and homosexuality with other students. I left Christianity during my next-to-last semester at OCC. Converted to Judaism in 2003. Moved to Israel in 2007. Speak fluent Hebrew (הַשָּׂפָה הָעִבְרִית) and know Greek (ἡ κοινὴ διάλεκτος) pretty well. Still haven’t found “the one,” but I’ve given up the search for “the One” and now consider myself a non-believer in the concept of God and in the value of faith. You’ll hear more about my journey as I give my contributions here on the forum.
Good luck to us all as we begin this trek into our own pasts. May we all heal and find our ways, wherever they may lead.
Contributor: Jason (ג׳ייסון)
Comments
Post a Comment